The partner businesses and organisations of STHEC 2021 has provided you with the following challenges. Please, read through the challenges and rank them in your preferred order when applying for STHEC. Let the creativity flow!
Future hybrid setup as way-of-working
Description: How to ensure continuous development, efficient ways of working & team spirit in companies in today’s and tomorrow’s hybrid setup where we will be combining face to face and remote working? What are the means to ensure that? How to benefit from digitalization/digital tools here?
Call to action: Define a future hybrid model for this future way of working with tips and tricks ensuring high efficiency, innovation and a good team spirit.
CITY OF VAASA
Description: The Covid-19 pandemic has changed the nature of work and studying considerably. Daily commuting to business premises and universities has been radically replaced by remote working and university courses have shifted to online options during the pandemic. Rather than daily commuting, people are working/studying from their homes or second homes, while daily trips to work have been replaced by less frequent commutes. Due to the minimal impact of work efficiency, many employers have implemented new working from home principles that seek to improve the quality of life for their staff. These trends are significantly impacting the home-work or home-study relationship, as well as notions of multi-locality. While these changing norms will create opportunities in terms of quality of life and business efficiency, it also suggests potentially wide-ranging and differentiated impacts on urban planning principles such as a reduced demand for ie. office space and in a university town like Vaasa it might include new norms for commuting like an increased demand for inter- regional transport systems to support weekly or rather monthly commuting over longer distances, increased demand for greenspace and recreational areas in urban residential areas, or an increased flexibility and multi-locality options for high-qualified jobs.
Call to action: Multi-locality, is it here to stay? What are the needs and wishes for the future regarding premises for studying, working, living and commuting and so on. What are the demands of your surroundings in living the good life?
Sustainable public transportation to the Smart Technology Hub
Starting this autumn, our employees will be moving to our new facilities in Vaskiluoto. We want our employees to have different kind of sustainable public transportation solutions available for getting to the office. Enabling sustainable solutions requires co-creation and working together. Is there a model how the organisations in the area could co-create to make the solution a reality? And what would the future-proof solution be?
Call to action: You can choose between options Land and Sea and if you answer all the questions or one.
- Option Land: A sustainable public transport solution going on rails from the Airport to the Smart Technology Hub in Vaskiluoto.
- Option Sea: A sustainable public transport solution going on sea between the University in Palosaari and the Smart Technology Hub in Vaskiluoto.
What would the design look like? What would the technical solution be? What would thebusiness model look like? What could a possible co-creation model between the different organisations in Vaasa look like to make it reality?
Trade on the energy market – the undiscovered revenue opportunity for households
The situation for electricity consumers such as households are changing. They are no longer static consumers of electricity sold by an electric utility, but have the opportunity of becoming an active part of the electrical system both from a technical and economical perspective. How can households optimize their energy usage by smart and renewable technology (e.g. solar panels, batteries, flexible consumption), interactions with the electric utility (selling and buying energy and services) and maximizing the benefits of the transforming electric landscape (grid scale renewable electricity revolution)?
Call to action:
- A concept description of the optimized future household and its benefits
- A feasibility calculation demonstrating the economical (and environmental) benefits of the concept
- A strategy how to reach the optimized scenario from today’s situation
The role of ecological and social values in the choice of technology solutions.
The ecological and social values affect the decisions and choices that has been made. Following questions help to consider their impact on technological decisions:
- What kind of targets and legislation should be implemented for achieving the goals for cleaner carbon neutral future?
- How should ecological aspects be taken into consideration in technical evaluation?
- How should ecological values be taken into consideration in supplying/purchasing technology solutions?
- How will the public image focus on ecological and social values impact on the selection criteria in the future?
- What kind of information companies/consumers are requiring for ecological and social decision making in the future?
- What are the main ecological and social values for future generations?
- What are the other driving values for future generations?
Call to action: With the help of questions above, please define the changes in the operating environment and their impact on the company’s operations.